Lois Wakeman's web site portfolio
On this page: Some of the more recent web sites I have been involved with. Most are web sites for small businesses, for which the twin goals are usually accessibility/search engine findability, and ease of maintenance.
- Marshwood Vale - a site for a local poet who wants to introduce more people to his poetry, with a simple but pleasing site. David was a real pleasure to work with, as he had given such careful consideration to what he wanted the site to do for him.
- Trisha Hayman - a site built using hosted WordPress for a local watercolourist and botanical illustrator. Trisha has only recently started using a computer, and we developed the site together over a couple of sessions so she was able to learn how to make changes when she wanted to.
- Town Mill Arts Guild - a site built using WordPress and various plug-ins for a local arts organisation. Designed to allow users to update their own pages and have access to private information.
- Uplyme Parish Council - as Parish Clerk, one of my duties is to look after, and develop, the council's web site. Simplicity and clarity are the objectives here.
- Lyme Bay Handyman - a site for a small local business. The copy was written with simplicity and clarity in mind for a target audience of naive web users. A tip of the month (generated automatically) on the home page helps keep the content fresh.
- Infection Management Systems Limited - a brochure site for a company selling UVGI equipment for infection control in hospitals and other similar institutions. Unusually, I've written quite a lot of the copy for this, as well as doing the design. A news feed helps keep the content fresh.
- Drakestone B&B - a simple one-page site for a local bed and breakfast accommodation provider.
- Higher Holcombe Farm Cottage - a site for a local self-catering accommodation provider. Includes a third-party booking application integrated into the site.
- Passport to the Pyrenees - a site for a B&B/ski package/property management business starting up in the French Pyrenees. This has been developed to use Macromedia Contribute so that the owners can edit the text, add new pages etc. without needing my intervention; a full CMS was not worth the overhead in implementation owing to the nature of the site.
- Garden Lodge - a site for a B&B business near Newmarket. Designed from the outset to be found easily.
- Lyme Regis Photos - a showcase for my photos. A standards-compliant site designed to be accessible. Powered by an ASP.NET application developed by Jeff Goddard to my specifications, and all the page design and content by me.
- Communication Arts - to sell my writing services specifically. A standards-compliant site designed for use in all browsers and internet devices, and to be easily accessible. It looks plain but works properly in older browsers.
- Syntagma - a site for a Word consultant for which I provided advice on search engine placement and information architecture.
- Lyme Regis Accommodation - a small site for a local B&B and self-catering business. Designed from the outset to be found internationally, and appearing on page 1 in Google for the client's preferred terms.
I have done work on internal and external web sites of a number of corporate / government / public service organisations, including consultancy on information architecture and maintenance strategies for Kent and Metropolitan Police and DEFRA (BSE and Passports for Pets), accessibility advice for the Jurassic Coast Partnership, a training intranet for Boehringer Ingelheim, and web site and application design for Attinger Jack Advertising.