Uplyme & Lyme Regis Horticultural Society
Events diary for 2012/13
We welcome everyone to all our events, whether or not they are members. Why not come along and see what we have to offer? Entry to most meetings is free for members, and only a small charge is made for others. For trips, we have to charge a temporary membership fee of £2 to non-members to comply with our insurance.
Most meetings are held in the Uplyme Village Hall at 7:30pm on the fourth Wednesday of the month. Entry to talks is free to members, and £2 for non-members. There may be different charges for garden visits, coach outings, and other special events: see below for more information.
- Nov 23rd (Wed) 7.30pm Quiz and Social evening
- Jan 25th (Wed) 7.30pm Talk
- 'It's a Grave Business - Dead Interesting Dorset' by Rob Curtis.
- Feb 22nd (Wed) 7.30pm Talk
- 'Local butterflies and their Lifestyles' by David Cox.
- Jan 25th (Wed) 7.30pm Talk 'Care & Management of Trees & Shrubs'
- (including pruning and tool care) by David Usher.
- Jan 28 th (Sat) 7.30-11pm Barn Dance with Long Odds and Short Straws Band.
- Tickets £8.00 (under 12s £4.00) incl. Ploughman's supper available from Uplyme Stores, Ginger Beer Lyme Regis or ring 444034. BYO alcohol, soft drinks on sale.
- Feb 22nd (Wed) 7.30pm Talk 'Local butterflies and their Lifestyles'
- by David Cox.
- Mar 28th (Wed) 7.30pm AGM.
- Followed by Talk 'Potatoes and Carrots'
with Nigel Ball
- April 25th (Wed) 7.30pm Talk 'Something Nasty in the Garden'
- by Pippa Greenwood from Radio 4's Gardeners' Question Time
Tickets £6 Members £8 Non members - available from Uplyme Post Office,
Ginger Beer, Lyme Regis or ring Ann Prince 01297 443793.
- May 11th (Friday) Full day coach trip to The Malvern Spring Flower Show.
- Depart Uplyme Village Hall 7.45 am. £30.50 for coach and admission extra £2
for non members. Please ring Brian 07831 533580 by April 19th to book your seat
- May 19th (Sat) 9.30am -12am Plant Sale & Coffee morning.
- Donations please for produce table (cakes, jam, veg, etc.) Entry £1.
- May 23rd (Wed) 7.30pm Talk 'Take your first steps to becoming a landscape detective'
- by Kimmo Evans
- June 12th (Tues) Evening Garden Visit 'The Walled Gardens at Little Bredy nr Bridport'
- £6 to include refreshments. (Non members £8) Depart in shared cars from Uplyme Village Hall 5.45pm. Please ring Ann Prince 443793 by June 8th to confirm.
- June 27th (Wed) 7.30pm Talk 'Irises and Peonies' by Sue Applegate ex Kelways Nursery
- July 4th (Wed) Coach trip to Cothay Manor and gardens
- Depart Uplyme Village Hall 10.30 am. £19.50 for coach, admission to
gardens and tour of house. Lunch available for an additional £8.
Please ring Brian 07831 533580 by June 17th to book.
- July 14th (Sat) 2pm - 5pm. Summer Show
- In the marquee, a wide range of open classes for fruit and vegetables, floral exhibits, cookery, handicrafts, photography, and children's classes.
On the field, charity and plant stalls, craft stalls, family dog games, musical entertainment, refreshments. In the hall, cream teas and a chance to rest your legs!
This is our biggest event of the year, and you can see some photos of a previous show as a taster. Printed schedules are available from local shops from June (members get theirs by February / March), and include the entry form for show entries, which must be submitted by the Wednesday before. Free car-parking. Entrance £1.50. Details Jenny Oldfield 01297 442873
- July 25th (Wed) 7.30pm 'Bonkers about Birds' a family evening with the RSPB
- Tickets Adults £3.00 Children £1. Available from Uplyme Post Office, RNLI
shop and the lottery kiosk or ring Brian 07831 533580. Profits to Lifeboat Week.
- Aug 22nd (Wed) 7.30pm. Practical Demonstration AT WOODMEAD HALLS.
- 'Propagation by Soft, Semi-ripe and Hardwood cuttings or Seed' by Phil Gamble
- Sept 11th (Tues). Evening visit and tour to 'Otter Farm'
- - home to orchards of unusual fruits. £3 to include refreshments. Non members £5. Depart in shared cars from Uplyme Village Hall 5.30 pm. Please ring Pam 01297 442378 by Sept 9th to confirm.
- Sept 15th (Sat) 2-4pm Autumn Show and Plant Sale
- Schedules at Summer Show and local shops, or will be available for download from web site nearer the time.
Free entry to classes for Autumn flowers: dahlias, chrysanthemums, roses, hydrangeas etc: why not have a look in your garden and see what you have got? Other classes for fruit, vegetables, cookery and floral exhibits.
Donations please of plants and produce (cakes, jam, veg. etc) Entry £1. Refreshments. Details Ann Prince 01297 443793
- Sept 26th (Wed) 7.30pm Talk 'Hedgehogs in the Garden'
- by Elizabeth Dyas.
- Oct 24th (Wed) 7.30pm Family evening 'The Enchanting World of the Pumpkin'.
- Pumpkin lantern competition, quiz, games and more. Bring your carved/decorated pumpkin to be judged. Father details to follow.
- Nov 28th (Wed) 7.30pm Quiz and Social evening.
PROGRAMME FOR 2013
- Jan 23rd (Wed) 7.30pm Talk 'Development of Burrow Farm Gardens'
by Mary Benger
- Feb 27th (Wed) 7.30pm Talk 'Plants for shade'
- by Chris Birchall
- March 27th (Wed) 7.30pm AGM
Followed by Talk 'Amateur Greenhouse' by Robert Allwood
- April 24th (Wed) 7.30pm Demonstration and talk 'Hanging Baskets'
- by Brian Carlson
General notes for all events:
All details are correct at the time of compilation, but please note that our programme may vary due to unforeseen circumstances. Please refer to the local press and Uplyme Stores notice board for any last-minute changes.
Unless otherwise stated, talks are free for members, and £2 entry for non-members.